There are events in any country’s history that remain fixed forever in people’s memory. The Russian victory in the Patriotic War of 1812 is one such event in the history of Russia. The hundredth anniversary of the Patriotic War of 1812 was approaching. Russia was preparing to celebrate the jubilee. Some progressive-minded intellectuals decided that a panorama about one of the events of 1812 should be built. The government supported this idea and commissioned Franz Roubaud to work on it.
Panorama Borodino (as it was then called) was opened on August 29, 1912, in a wooden pavilion on Chistoprudny Boulevard in the center of Moscow. By 1918, the building was completely beyond repair. The canvas was removed, rolled up and carefully stored away.
In 1962, the 150th anniversary of the Patriotic War of 1812, a new museum building was opened. The location chosen for it was not a chance one. The village of Fili, on the outskirts of Moscow, was a place where Field-Marshal Kutuzov held his historic Council of War in the peasant hut (izba). It was there that the fate of Moscow was decided.