Museu de Arte Sacra de São Paulo (Sacred Art Museum of São Paulo) is the result of an agreement signed between the State Government and Archdiocese Mitra of São Paulo, in October 28, 1969 and its installation date June 28, 1970. From this date, Museu de Arte Sacra de São Paulo came to occupy the left touchline of the ground floor of Mosteiro de Nossa Senhora da Imaculada Conceição da Luz (Monastery of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception) and the former Casa do Capelão (Chaplain House), prior administration, and where, since 1999, it is exhibited the collection of cribs of the museum.
The oldest part of the complex was built under the guidance of Friar Antônio Galvão de Santana to accommodate the recollection of conceptionists sisters, a function that still continues nowadays.
The museum began to be formed by Dom Duarte Leopoldo e Silva, the first archbishop of São Paulo, who, from 1907 on, began to collect sacred images in churches and small chapels from farms that were systematically demolished after the proclamation of the Republic. In the 1970s, it was possible to significantly expand this acquis.